A glimpse into life in Denmark


04 May, 2011

Happiness Pt. 1

I think it's been two days. Actually I don't know. I'm sitting in my room right now, in Copenhagen, and yesterday I was in class, and the day before I was in London, and before that Ireland. Or was it yesterday? What day is it today?
But I don't know where I am, or how long it's been since I was here last, doing the exact same thing, like I'd never left. I think I'll call this feeling "travel amnesia."


trav·el am·ne·sia: noun \ˈtra-vəl  am-ˈnē-zhə\


The mental and physical phenomenon of traveling to too many places in too short an amount of time, returning, and not knowing whether you've actually returned, where you are, what time it is or which direction you're facing.

So this entry is more or less a travel journal, more or less a way of proving to myself that my brain isn't in a crypt somewhere and this is just a figure of my imagination. Sorry, family, didn't mean to frighten you. I just recently watched "Source Code" when I was in Rome. Or was it Athens?

Here's a look into my travel notes.

Prague
Day 1: 
Flight delayed two hours out of Copenhagen. Don't fly Norwegian airlines, because I can't tell you one time they had my back. Except once, but only kind of. Finally in Prague, stood around staring a the bus stop, trying to read Czech. Couldn't. Missed the last bus, had to sell our kidneys to buy a taxi to our hostel. Arrived at our hostel at 1 a.m. Undressed and unpacked in the hallway because two Asian couples were sleeping in our room. They woke up at 5 a.m. We did not.

Day 2:
Had lunch by the river, visited Lessee town, Prague Castle and the lookout tower.

                                                            Kylie enjoying the menu

                                                                     Prague Castle

Walked across Charles Bridge. Bought painting/got ripped off by toothless Prague man. Still have buyer's remorse, but maybe now he can purchase a new set of teeth. At least I can sleep at night knowing I'm spreading good dental hygiene throughout the world.

                                                                    Charles Bridge

Visited Strahov Monastary, marveled, went on long walk through the vineyards. Thought we were on someone else's property because we randomly stumbled upon a peacock, which I do not believe are native to the Czech Republic. Passed up the Magic Grotto LARPing experience to play hide and seek in the mirror maze.

View from the top
Petrin Park, home to mysterious peacock
Ate the most delicious Italian meal involving Risotto, white wine and gelato. As Somer said, "How can life be this good?"
Me: I can't decide on what flavor gelato to get. My life is so hard.
Kylie: I love that the hardest thing we have to think about right now is what flavor gelato we want. 
 Day 3:
Ate the breakfast of champions: espresso and chocolate gelato. Because why not? Decided to buy fruit in the market. Followed the trend of getting ripped off when the scale somehow showed Kylie that her 5 strawberries at 1 euro per kilo would cost 6 euro. Argued with shop keeper. Didn't work, because the only English she knew was, "You buy. See scale. You buy."

Ate only Italian meals all day, except for the fried cheese at Wenceslas Square. Saw the Astronomical clock and the easter celebrations nearby.

Easter celebrations in Wenceslas Square
Astronomical Clock
Convinced Kylie and Somer to paddle boat on the river. Ended the night by seeing the blacklight theater, a play called Studio Clip. Spoiler alert: They all turn into vampires in the end and such each other's blood with a very long straw. Extremely bizarre, but the Czech loved it, so maybe my American sense of humor isn't up to par. Was up to par, however, when Somer tried to pay for her gelato with Swedish money and the shopkeeper thought she was paying with fake money.

Somer loves paddleboating
Not the vampire part, but I guess they just had to add a plot to this stuff
Paris
Day 4: 
Saw Montemartre Hill, ate my first of many Chevrie salads for lunch. Spoke french to the waiters, but could most fluently ask for more oil and more bread, so just repeatedly asked for that.
Saw the Moulin Rouge, thought about going to a show. Cost 100 euro. Stopped thinking about it. Tried to see an opera. Rejected, because the ticket office closed at 3 p.m. Only in Europe.

Montemartre Hill, place of tourists sunbathing half nakedly and lewd French men shouting terms of endearment, though with rather negative implications
Chevrie salad, chocolate chaud and espresso

Ate sushi for dinner. Accidentally told the sushi guy, "Je t'aime" instead of "J'aime" (I love you vs. I love it), but didn't bother correcting it because he brought me sushi, so I did love him kind of.

Day 5:
Took a very cold bike tour through the 4th district, didn't run into anyone. Casualty-less. Shivered by the Seine. Saw the Louvre, Notre Dame, Pompidou Centre. Were surprised to find out that it wasn't a building under contruction (read: modern art).
Finished the tour off by sharing a wonderfully delicious French press.

Notre Dame Cathedral

Louvre
Pompidou Centre 


Had to register for my summer class at an internet cafe. Tried to go to Musee D'Orsay, but wouldn't have been able to get through the line before it closed. Wouldn't have been able to get through the line if we'd gotten there at 5 a.m.

Visited Luxembourg Palace instead, saw the most enormous dog/horse ever in existence.



Returned to our hostel to discover a new roommate, a 25-year old Belgian guy who rolls his own cigarettes. Somer said she saw him taking drugs, but he went right to sleep, so I maintain an opposing viewpoint.

Day 6:
Took a train to Versailles/Neverland, but couldn't stop wondering if our new roommate would steal my ipod, which I left in my backpack.
Wandered around Versailles all day, because it was beautiful, but mostly because we couldn't figure how to get out of there. Decided that when we grow up, Kylie would buy Versailles, I would buy the Grand Trianon, and Somer would buy the Petite Trianon. It would probably be fine to live in it again, since the French Revolution is over.
Hall of Mirrors, Versailles


Versailles

Grand Trianon: guest house

Petite Trianon: Marie Antionette's country house
Also, Marie Antionette has a little Disney village in her back yard, complete with fairy tale houses for her workers to live in, and a farm.

One of many of Marie Antionette's cottages
Ate dinner in Paris, where the waiter actually said to us, "Can you hurry up with your order? I have people waiting downstairs." We did not tip.

Phone interviewed for my job at the Daily at $4 a minute. Best unnecessary $12 ever spent.

Took a stroll on Champs Elysees, pretended we could buy things. Watched a break dance battle, saw the Eiffel Tower and Arch du Triumph. Were great, but mostly I just thought, "Ok, cool. A very large statue."


Athens
Day 7:
Walked through the airport, I can't remember if our passports got checked. Almost didn't go through security, but ran into it at the very end.
Athens smells like lilac trees and roast lamb, and the streets are made of marble. Truly beautiful, heavenly. Ate gyros for every single meal.



From the top of Mt. Lycabettus
Day 7:
Visited the Acropolis. Got really sad because the woman at the entrance yelled at me to show her a student card and then wouldn't accept my student visa as identification. Was forced to pay full price.
Saw the Acropolis Museum: It's so cool because when they were building it, they found an entire city underground, so while they excavate it, they've covered it with glass so you can walk above it and see the city.


Saw the Parthenon and various other temples.


Ate spicy cheese for lunch/gave it to Somer.

Experienced the worst bathroom of my life in which an old homeless woman wearing an '80's windbreaker flooded the bathroom by repeatedly washing her hands and muttering to herself in Greek. She wouldn't let me use one stall, so I used the one other stall. Splashed through the water, sat down. Discovered (too late) that she had stolen all the toilet paper.

Me: Kylie, go find me a leaf!
Kylie: I'm seriously telling you, you don't want these leaves.
Me: And I'm seriously telling you that I need one. Or go into that other stall and get toilet paper.
Kylie: The old lady won't let me go in there!
Me: Knock the door down!
Kylie: No, she's like fighting me. I think she's telling me there isn't any in there. 
Me: Don't believe her! She's lying! 
Made friends with a shop owner who was a "serious designer," "educated in the U.S." I asked him for his credentials. Such-and-such design school in New York or something. Kylie, Somer and I were looking at dresses, but he insisted on certain styles and certain colors based on the way we looked. I was given a beige sheath dress because I have a "woman body." Wanted to keep being friends, but he stopped being friends with us when Somer refused to buy a dress with a hole in it.

Had to register for class again at 9 p.m.

Sporadically decided to take a trip to Santorini, a Greek island. Slept on the overnight ferry, upright, with the lights on, and loud Greek soldiers peering at us through the cracks in the seats.

Santorini 
Day 8:
Our Danish-acclimated skin welcomed the sun in this tiny town. Settled on the beach in the morning, laid out all day. Received drinks we were told were free, "Listen, you just relax!" but were not? We still aren't sure: "You want to pay? Ok, you can if you want. If you don't want, don't pay?" Greek ambiguity often left us puzzled: "So... is that a yes? Or...?"

Perissa, Santorini


10 hours later, our skin felt our mistake, and we quickly found shelter in our villa. Watched music videos on TV until dinner; luckily, "Jennifer Lopez and Latino friends weekend" was on.

Ate the most amazing dinner: Greek tapas. Briefly considered posting a recipe on here, but then selfishly decided that I would like to be able to cook at least one meal not out of the box when I get back to the U.S. The owner of the restaurant fed us Miras digestive alcohol for dessert, made from the sap of a Miras tree, only found on Crete. Tasted like pine cones, honey and mint.


Day 9:
Took the bus to Fira, then Oia. Again, weren't sure when we should pay or if we did. In the end, an old man walked through the bus with a cash holder strapped onto his chest and we paid with change, then he ripped a ticket off his flip book.

A travel agency let us leave our backpacks in their shop all day, and we repaid them by eating at their friend's restaurant. They were actually probably cousins, as most people seemed to be.

Oia can only be explained as a writer's paradise, and I think it would inspire anyone to write a book just to go live there.





Before we left we frolicked in the flowers out of pure happiness. Rather, Somer and I did, because flowers were much too close to nature for Kylie's comfort.


Took the ferry back to Athens. Two boys on the way home were playing with a mangy stray dog: "I don't even know why everyone's grossed out about these dogs. They all have owners!" Nope, they don't, and you should disinfect or see the doctor about that spot on your arm you're letting that owner-less dog attach his mouth to.

Slept sporadically throughout the night on the ferry. Wrapped my scarf around my face, slept in my Cocoon. Special thanks to Dave and Wanda, who saved me from death by exposure to the elements with this gift.

Athens (again)
Day 10:
Arrived at 5 a.m., were told upon checking back in that there was no room for us at the hostel (sounds Biblical), but in the end were were allowed in and slept until 11. Talked to Chris before he left Singapore, made plans a-z about how to meet each other at the airport in Rome, because "What if the terminal suddenly changes?" "What if your flight gets cancelled, or mine has to emergency stop in another country!"

Drank Greek coffee for breakfast. Again, another recipe I'll keep to myself. Had gelato for dessert. Got free bubblegum gelato from the now-familiar owner of the shop: "Here, we're friends now. Have this. Want more?"

Saw Zeus' temple and the baths.




Got accosted as usual while walking the streets for dinner:
Restaurant aggregator: We give you free wine! Just for you.
Me: Everyone says that! What else can you give us?
RA: You don't pay unless you love.
Me: Eh, not really good enough.
RA: Wait! Free dessert.
Sold.

In the end, convinced them to give us free wine, water, bread and fruit, only paying for the pasta we ate. They gave us a bill for 26 euro, which I stormed the front about, saying we would only pay 18 (when our pasta should have cost 21 anyway). In order to appease me in front of the customers deciding whether they should eat there, the waiter scribbled out the number, wrote 18 and circled it. Then we stole a spoon and left.

Success




That's all for now, as the sun is shining in Copenhagen for once and I'm going to go play with my dogs in it. Check back in a few days for part 2: Rome, Pompeii, Chris in Copenhagen and Ireland.



1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome blog. Love the photos and the posts.

    ReplyDelete